Dining Room and Fireplace Reveal

After a few very messy weeks (think smashed travertine tile, two failed soda blasting attempts, and living without glass panels during torrential rain storms), what started as a "Fireplace Project" turned into a bit of a bigger Dining Room overhaul. 

Let's remember what the Dining Room first looked like... now this is almost four years ago, but it was quite different:

For a recap on the Fireplace Restoration, check out our past post. We finally brought in the professionals to remove the thick primer that was on the original brick, which they used a technique called Soda Blasting to remove.

Replacing the glass panels

We then prepped the area to replace the non-original side glass panels back to clear glass. John replaced some of the wood stops with new pieces in preparation for the two new glass panels we ordered from a local glass shop. 

 Glass will be inserted into the existing metal channel, located in between the inside and outside of the fireplace.

Glass will be inserted into the existing metal channel, located in between the inside and outside of the fireplace.

Using extra large suction cups, John carefully inserted the glass panel into the metal channel and installed new wood stops. Lots of caulk and additional outside wood stops were then installed for a secure fit. 

Then came some last minute walnut paneling work, to finish off the few feet left of the space before the transition to the Kitchen.

And here's our "new" more-original-in-style Dining Room!

 The newly restored Fireplace in our Eichler 

The newly restored Fireplace in our Eichler 

The additional Walnut paneling we added to finish off the space really made a difference, and it felt like it would make a great lounging area with the Eames Chair.

We also rearranged the Dining Table to accommodate the added seating area. 

We still have a bunch of additional clean-up work to do (removing remaining bits of old tile mortar, some re-painting, etc...) but for now, we are thrilled (and relieved!) to have rid of the last of the former "updates" made to this room. It feels like the room and space can breathe again! 

Next up, we finally found a new Rug for the Living Room... and how we decide to add some greenery to the side area, which is in the view of those great new glass windows (currently an old fence and construction debris). Thanks for all the support through this project! It's been fun seeing everyone share in our same excitement to get back to an original fireplace!