After fabricating retro grasscloth closet doors in other parts of the house, we still needed to tackle the kids hallway closets. This time we sought out additional functionality and turned to the trusty 'ol Swedish retailer, IKEA, for a sleek custom closet. By using the Sektion system of cabinets, typically used for kitchens, we were able to customize cabinet sizes, source modular components and modern finishes to fit our 60" wide closet space.
Steps to Install IKEA Sektion Cabinets
- Planned out our closet system using the [frustratingly buggy] IKEA software.
- Ordered the cabinets at IKEA.
- Assembled and installed the cabinet frames.
- Mounted the cabinet ledger and bottom cabinet bases using 2x4s.
- Installed the drawers, hinges, doors and faces.
- Installed trim piece at the top (repurposed the toe kicks)
What's Next For Our Eichler Custom Closet
- T-molding for the flooring
- Finish skimming and painting the walls
- Find the strength to do the other side ;)